Biogas Action aims to develop on-farm use of anaerobic digestion to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, create energy and reduce waste.
Anaerobic digestion extracts more value from our organic waste (including inedible food waste, manures, wastewater) and break/cover crops than any alternative
Biogas Action seeks to support the development of small scale on-farm anaerobic digestion. The project provides free impartial advice to farmers and landowners on using farm waste for sustainable soil and nutrient management, reduction of green-house gas emissions, and energy production. Dairy farming, in particular, is very well suited to farm scale AD, as it produces large volumes of manure and slurry and also has relatively high energy use.
We would like to hear from you if you are a farmer or landowner that wants to:
• convert their wastes into fertiliser
• generate renewable energy
• improve soil quality
• protect animal health
• reduce pollution risks
Strategy - A Vision for Small Scale On-farm Anaerobic Digestion
The Strategy has come about following discussions with key stakeholders from agricultural and anaerobic digestion industries and regulators in Wales, and represents the views of members of the group. Severn Wye Energy Agency, under the Biogas Action project, has facilitated these discussions and compiled this report as a recommendation to Welsh Government to introduce an Anaerobic Digestion Strategy for Wales. Download of the strategy is available on the right.
Replication - The ambition of Biogas Action is to serve as a vehicle for an unbiased and rapid development of the European biogas / biomethane sector and thereby contribute to the EU 2020 targets. One of the central activities of the project is the cooperation between different policy levels at EU, national and regional level by replication in different regions in the EU. You can download Severn Wye's Biogas Action replication story here !
Latest News !
- Free AD Training Videos Now Available ! Severn Wye Energy Agency, under the Biogas Action project, has produced a series of short training videos for small scale AD operators. The videos, which are now freely available on Vimeo and YouTube, cover 6 areas:
- Avoiding gritting and foaming
- Being a good neighbour
- The basics
- Avoiding pollution
- Keeping safe
- Permits needed
They were produced in consultation with AD experts and are aimed at those farmers/landowners/plant owners that may not consider any formal training to run their installation, and so they are only a few minutes long each and focus on the basics. A link to the videos can be found here, or if you'd like a free DVD, please contact Maggie at Severn Wye.
- Biogas Action launches a collection or reports and tasks to assist in the development of biogas plants. The report collates information on European projects concerning the biogas industry, relevant tools developed at national level of the project partner countries, local preconditions in these countries and a list of interesting anaerobic digestion plants. The report can be downloaded here.
- Biogas Action exhibited at Energy Now Exhibition, February, 2017, Telford. Biogas Action also ran a free one hour training session at the event which covered topics such as best practice, maintenance, emergency planning, gas alarms and planning and permits for biogas plants. If you'd like a free copy of the DVD of the session, please email us (contact details top right of page). See download on the right for further information on the event.
- Severn Wye hosts Biogas Action partner meeting in London in December 2016. Partners from across Europe met at the Camley Street Natural Park which is run by the London Wildlife Trust. See download on the right for more information on Camley's micro biogas plant and circular economy in action.
- Andy Bull from Severn Wye was a panel member at recent seminar discussing small-scale anaerobic digestion. It was held during the UK AD and Biogas 2016 event at the Birmingham National Exhibition Centre. See the download on the right for further information.
- The Biogas Action Brochure contains information on the ten most interesting biogas plant projects of the Biogas Action project countries, providing the reader with technical data for each plant as well as background information concerning the start-up conditions. Document available for download on the right.